I decided to go outside my culinary comfort zone tonight and make vegan Stuffed Peppers. This was quite the experiment because my husband is not a fan of beans and I’m not crazy about peppers….yet fantastically – this dish far surpassed my expectations! It was so flavorful and I think because the peppers were cooked in the slow cooker, they came out so tender and literally melted in your mouth!
** Cook’s side note: if the skin of the pepper bothers you like it does me, I found once I cut into the cooked pepper, the outer skin came off fairly easy! Hope you enjoy this as much as we did! Oh and if you need further inspiration, I have also included St. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band for your listening pleasure 🙂
Recipe adapted from “Taste of Home” Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
- 6 large sweet peppers
- 2 cups cooked brown rice or bulgar (cook in veggie stock for extra flavor)
- 3 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup canned red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/3 cup Nutritional Yeast (vegan replacement for Parmesan cheese – adds a nutty flavor)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds; set aside. In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients. Spoon into peppers.
- Combine spaghetti sauce and water; pour half into an oval 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the stuffed peppers. Top with remaining sauce.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours, then on low for another hour or until peppers are tender and filling is heated through.
- Yield: 6 servings.